Saturday, June 27, 2015

Quotation of the Day



[I had] a desire to have a novel that moves like a good cable TV series, from scene to scene, character to character, standoff to standoff. A good series has a good mix of characters across demographics. Also, I like that cable television shows often are happy to play with ideas of the fallout from coincidence and impulse and secrets, and I wanted those three things to be a big part of why people do and say things in this book. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't borrow the structure of the book, and the way the scenes move, at least in part, from season one of Mad Men. - Novelist Dean Bakopoulos, speaking about his new novel Summerlong

Ah, we have come full circle. For a long time now we have been talking about how fictional philosophies and techniques influence the best television series, and how those series essentially are novels, in a different medium. Here we have a novelist who is more than willing to admit that his watching of those series is shaping how he constructs his fiction. Interesting!

Summerlong: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment